Who I Help
Let me make you a hero
Over time, I have gravitated to the industries and businesses that resonate with me. Not to say this is an exclusive list but these feed my soul.
Travel and Tourism Industry
You’ll have a sidekick for life if you are in the travel and tourism industry. I’ve made a lot of heroes over there and I always circle back to see how everyone is doing. Plus, travel writing is a personal purple passion. Alliterations have their place. Just sayin’. Here’s a sampling of a few of my favourites:
- wrote several feature articles for a regional marketing campaign promoting cool things to do in Calgary. Here’s one of them.
Salute to Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame
- worked with a consortium of small tourism businesses in southern Alberta to create self-guided road trips to visit locations of famous movies shot in Alberta.
Reel Adventures in Alberta
- interviewed the staff at the Yamnuska Wolf Dog Sanctuary and wrote a long-form article, pro bono, to assist with a fundraising campaign to help with the high costs of a multi-animal rescue. What can I say? Their story tugged at my heartstrings. These folks do amazing work rescuing and rehabilitating abused or abandoned wolf dogs. If you’re ever in the neighbourhood, treat yourself to an immersion experience with these incredible animals. Wolf Dog Sanctuary—From Alone to Home
If you are in the nonprofit world, you are already my hero. Keep being heroic while your sidekick writes all those pesky grant proposals and fund development and campaign cases for support you just don’t have time for.
Stuff I’ve had the pleasure to assist with:
- helped develop content for a program to encourage employee volunteerism in the workplace. Grounbreaking partnership between Chevron Canada and Volunteer Calgary.
- created a comprehensive communication plan for the Rainbow Society, a small nonprofit with a different take on fulfilling children’s wishes, focussed on debilitating as opposed to terminal childhood illnesses. This involved a competitive analysis and creation of a step by step communications plan to raise awareness and encourage donations.
- developed a new brand identity for pro bono legal group, Calgary Legal Guidance. Created the logo, designed the look and feel of a major capital campaign and wrote copy for promotional brochures and white papers, as well as the consumer newsletter.
Hero-in-the-making in a small business? No problem. My days of working for big corps are over. Now I prefer to work with small shops that could use my help. I seem to have an uncanny ability to research, analyze, plan and deliver content, no matter the business. As can any good content creator, if they’re worth their salt. And I am. Especially the kind that rims a chilled margarita.